Child and Youth Mental Health Learning Modules
A partnership between TeenMentalHealth.org and the British Columbia Medical Association resulted in the creation of a comprehensive program for first contact health providers in the five most commonly diagnosed areas of adolescent mental health.
These five modules aim to improve care and support for children and adolescents with mental health disorders in primary care. The intent of these modules is to improve access, build and increase capacity of primary care providers, address major gaps in care and change the trajectory of conditions (potentially improving population health outcomes).
The complete program has been piloted in British Columbia with a train the trainer model, which has been rolled out to all primary care physicians in the province.
The program provides family physicians with skills & knowledge to:
- Diagnose and treat common mental disorders in children and youth, such as Anxiety Disorders, Depression, or ADHD
- Enhance cross-sectoral collaboration to improve outcomes of care
- Early identification, diagnosis, treatment and management.
- Appropriate use of evidence-based treatments
- Appropriate application of validated clinical tools
- Increased physician awareness of available community mental health resources
Preliminary Evaluation and Outcomes
Twenty-three teams of family and specialist physicians, school counsellors, paediatricians and psychiatrists participated in the PSP CYMH learning module pilot. Within 3 months, they reported having:
- 225 patients on a registry with anxiety, depression or ADHD
- 110 patients treated with psychotherapeutic interventions
- 42 patients treated with protocol-driven medications
The module is being rolled out across British Columbia to 500 family physicians. Preliminary data demonstrates positive outcomes across a variety of domains.
- Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment of Adolescent Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder
- Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment of Child Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder
- Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment of Adolescent Anxiety Disorders
- Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment of Child Anxiety Disorders
- Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment of Adolescent Depression (Major Depressive Disorder)