Child and Youth Mental Health Learning Modules
A partnership between the Sun Life Financial Chair in Adolescent Mental Health and the British Columbia Medicial Association, resulted in the creation of a comprehensive program for First Contact Health Providers in the five most commonly diagnosed areas of Youth Mental Health.
These five modules aim to improve care and support for children and adolescents with mental health disorders in primary care. The intent of these modules is to improve access, build and increase capacity, address major gaps in care and change the trajectory of conditions (potentially improving population health outcomes).
The complete program has been pilotted in British Columbia with a train the trainer program, that has been rolled out to all primary care physicians in the province.
The program provides family physicians with skills and knowledge to:
• Diagnose and treat common mental disorders in children and youth, such as anxiety disorders, depression, or ADHD
• Enhance cross-sectoral collaboration to improve outcomes of care
• Early identification, diagnosis, treatment and management.
• Appropriate use of evidence-based treatments
• Appropriate application of validated clinical tools
• Increased physician awareness of available community mental health resources
PRELIMINARY EVALUATION & OUTCOMES
23 teams of family and specialist physicians, school counselors, pediatricians, and psychiatrists participated in the PSP CYMH learning module pilot. Within 3 months they reported having:
• 225 patients on a registry with anxiety, depression, or ADHD.
• 110 patients treated with psychotherapeutic interventions.
• 42 patients treated with protocol-driven medications.
The module is being rolled out across BC to 500 family physicians. Preliminary data demonstrates positive outcomes across a variety of domains, including:
The team is working to create an online CME Accredited version of the program. In the interim, we have made the modules available for use:
Please contact us here for more information on these programs.
Stay Up To Date
Get our newsletters and updates delivered to your inbox!