Please find below a list of some of our publications over the years.
- School Mental Health: A Necessary Component of Youth Mental Health Policy and Plans | Kutcher S. & Wei Y. World Psychiatry 05/11/2020.
- The Program Evaluation of “Go-to Educator” Training on Educator’s Knowledge About and Stigma Towards Mental Illness in Six Canadian Provinces | Wei Y., Kutcher S., Baxter A. & Heffernan A. Early Intervention in Psychiatry 09/07/2020.
- Mental Health Crisis on Post-secondary Campuses: A Robust Phenomenon or a Perfidious Postulate? | Wei Y., Baxter A., Fraise K. & Kutcher S. University and College Counselling Journal-BACP, 8(2), 8-13.
- School-based Mental Health Literacy Training Shifts the Quantity and Quality of Referrals to Tertiary Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: A Western Canada Regional Study (Submitted) | Baxter A., Wei Y., Kutcher S. & Cawthorpe D. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Evaluation of the Know Before You Go Teacher’s Guide on Students’ Mental Health Literacy, Life Skills and Sense of Preparedness for Life After High School (Submitted) | Wei Y., Gilham C., Alaffee R. & Kutcher S. Journal of School Health.
- Mental Health Literacy Development: Application of Online and in-person Professional Development for Preservice Teachers to Address Knowledge, Stigma, and Help-seeking Intentions | Wei Y., Carr W., Kutcher S. & Alafee R. intentions. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science 2019.
- Establishment and Validation of a Mental Health Literacy Measurement in Canadian Educators | Wei Y., Baxter A. & Kutcher S. Psychiatry Research September 2019.
- Addressing Mental Health Literacy in a UK University Campus Population: Positive Replication of a Canadian Intervention | Hunt S., Wei Y. & Kutcher S. Health Education Journal 01/28/2019.
- 3 Myths Dispelled About Student Suicide Prevention | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Baxter A. EdCanada Network 04/18/2019.
- The Effectiveness of the Mental Health Literacy Program for School Teachers: A Pilot Study | Yamaguchi S., Nishida A., Ogawa S., Ojio Y., Togo F. & Sasaki T. Japanese Journal of School Health 2019.
- Improving Mental Health Literacy in Post-Secondary Students: Field Testing the Feasibility and Potential Outcomes of a Peer Led Approach | Gilham C., Austen E., Wei Y. & Kutcher S. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health 08/31/2018.
- Evaluation of the Mental Health & High School Curriculum Guide Program in the North Vancouver School District: Student Results | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Alaffe R. Report prepared for North Vancouver School District February 2018.
- Evaluation of the Blended Guide and Go-To Training Program for Educators: Follow-up Review | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Alaffe R. Report prepared for North and West Vancouver School Districts March 2018.
- Evaluating the Benefits of a Youth Mental Health Curriculum for Students: Follow-up Results | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Alaffe R. Report prepared for North Vancouver School District May 2018.
- Mental Health Literacy in Schools: Effectively Applying a Similar Model to Help Build Good Youth Mental Health Outcomes in Japan and Canada | Kutcher S., Sasaki T. & Wei Y. Japanese Journal of School Health January 2018, 60(3), 141-146.
- Schools and Mental Health: Is Some Necessary Re-examining in Order? | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Hashish M. The Handbook of School-Based Mental Health Promotion: An Evidence Informed Framework for Implementation (pp. 83-101). New York: Springer 07/04/2018.
- Mental Health Literacy is a Fundamental Part of Teacher Preparation: A Canadian Perspective | Rodger S., Hibbert K., Leschied A.W., Masters E.R., & Pandori-Chuckal J. The handbook of school-based mental health promotion: An evidence informed framework for implementation, (pp. 127-143). New York: Springer 07/04/2018.
- Evaluating the Benefits of a Youth Mental Health Curriculum for Students in Nicaragua: A Parallel-group, Controlled Pilot Investigation | Ravindran A., Herrera A., L.d.Silva T., Henderson J., Castrillo M.E., & Kutcher S. Global Mental Health 01/25/2018.
- School Based Mental Health Literacy: Effectively Addressing the Need with Evidence-based Resources | Wei Y. & Kutcher S. Canadian Association of Principals Journal Spring 2018.
- Blended Guide and Go-To Training Program in St. John’s, Newfoundland: Report | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Alaffe R. 2018.
- The Quality of Measurement Tools Evaluating the Stigma of Mental Illness: A Systematic Review | Wei Y., McGrath P., Hayden J. & Kutcher S. Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences October 2017.
- Measurement Properties of Mental Health Literacy Tools Measuring Help-Seeking: A Systematic Review | Wei Y., McGrath P. & Kutcher S. Journal of Mental Health 03/30/2017.
- The African Guide: One Year Impact and Outcomes from the Implementation of a School Mental Health Literacy Curriculum Resource in Tanzania | Kutcher S., Wei Y., Gilberds H., Brown A., Ubuguyu O., Njau T., Sabuni N., Magimba A. & Perkins K. Journal of Education and Training Studies April 2017.
- Preparing for the Classroom: Mental Health Knowledge Improvement, Stigma Reduction and Enhanced Help-Seeking Efficacy in Canadian Preservice Teachers | Carr W., Wei Y., Kutcher S. & Heffernan A. Canadian Journal of School Psychology 01/19/2017.
- School Mental Health Promotion and Intervention: Experiences from Four Nations | Weist M.D., Bruns E.J., Whitaker K., Wei Y., Kutcher S., Larsen T., Holsen I., Cooper J.L., Geroski A. & Short K.H. School Psychology International 03/22/2017.
- Clinic Outcomes of the Pathway to Care Model: A Cross-Sectional Survey of Adolescent Depression in Malawi | Kutcher S., Udedi M., Gilberds H., Brown A., Chapota R. & Perkins K. Malawi Medical Journal 08/23/2017.
- Child and Youth Mental Health: Investing in the Front End | Kutcher S. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 03/31/2017.
- Addressing Adolescent Depression in Tanzania: Positive Primary Care Workforce Outcomes Using a Training Cascade Model | Kutcher S., Wei Y., Gilberds H., Brown A., Ubuguyu O., Njau T., Sabuni N., Magimba A. & Perkins K. Depression Research and Treatment 11/26/2017.
- Suicide Prevention: Doing the Right Thing is Not the Same as Doing Something | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Behzadi P. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 03/31/2017.
- Blended Guide and Go-To Training Program in Newfoundland: Report | Kutcher S., Wei, Y. & Alaffe R. 2017.
- Pre-service Teacher Education for Mental Health and Inclusion in Schools | Atkins M. & Rodger, S. Exceptionality Education International 12/22/2016.
- Mental Health Literacy for Students and Teachers: A “School Friendly” Approach | Kutcher S., Wei Y. & Hashish M. Positive Mental Health, Fighting Stigma and Promoting Resiliency for Children and Adolescents 2016.
- Mental Health Literacy: Past, Present, and Future | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Coniglio C. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 03/03/2016.
- Adolescent Brain Development | Wright L. & Kutcher S. Colloquium Series on The Developing Brain April 2016.
- From Personal Crisis care to Convenience Shopping: An Interpretive Description of the Experiences of People with Mental Illness and Addictions in Community Pharmacies | Murphy A.L., Martin-Misener R., Kutcher S.P., O’Reilly C.L., Chen T.F., & Gardner D.M. BMC Health Services Research 10/12/2016.
- Developing a Child and Youth Mental Health and Addictions Framework for Yukon as a Foundation for Policy Reform: Engaging Stakeholders Through a Policy and Research Partnership | Mulvale G., Kutcher S., & Meade P. Health Reform Observer 09/27/2016.
- Measurement Properties of Tools Measuring Mental Health Knowledge: A Systematic Review | Wei Y., McGrath P.J., Hayden J., & Kutcher S. BMC Psychiatry 08/23/2016.
- A School Mental Health Literacy Curriculum Resource Training Approach: Effects on Tanzanian Teachers’ Mental Health Knowledge, Stigma and Help-Seeking Efficacy | Kutcher S., Wei Y., Gilberds H., Brown A., Ubuguyu O., Njau T., Sabuni N., Magimba A., & Perkins K. International Journal of Mental Health Systems 08/04/2016.
- Evaluating Community Health Care Providers Knowledge and Self-confidence in the Identification, Diagnosis and Treatment of Adolescent Depression in Tanzania | Kutcher S., Wei Y., Gilberds G., Brown A., Ubuguyu O., Njau T., Sabuni N., Magimba A., & Perkins K. Archives of Depression and Anxiety 06/16/2016.
- Impact of a Mental Health Curriculum for High School Students on Knowledge and Stigma Among High School Students: A Randomized Controlled Trial | Milin R., Kutcher S., Lewis S.P., Walker S., Wei Y., Ferrill N., & Armstrong M.A. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 05/01/2016.
- School and Community Based Youth Suicide Prevention Interventions: Hot Idea, Hot Air or Sham? | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Behzadi P. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 07/12/2016.
- Enhancing Mental Health Literacy in Young People | Kutcher S., Wei Y., Costa S., Gusmão R., Skokauskas N., & Sourander A. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 05/28/2016.
- Electronic Interventions for Depression in Adolescents: Hot Idea or Hot Air? | Bruce V.A. & Kutcher S. South African Journal of Psychology 02/19/2016.
- Community Pharmacists’ Experiences in Mental Illness and Addictions Care: A Qualitative Study | Murphy A.L., Phelan H., Haslam S., Martin-Misener R., Kutcher S.P., & Gardner D.M. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 01/28/2016.
- Update on the Use of SSRIs and SNRIs with Children and Adolescents in Clinical Practice | Garland E.J., Kutcher S., Virani A., & Elbe D. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2016.
- A Pilot Study of Citalopram Treatment in Preventing Relapse of Depressive Episode after Acute Treatment | Cheung A., Levitt A., Cheng M., Santor D., Kutcher S., Dubo E., Garland J., Weiss M., & Kiss A. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2016.
- Evaluation of the Go-To Training Program in Nova Scotia: Retrospective Report | Kutcher S. & Wei Y. 2016.
- Mental health Literacy in Post-Secondary Students | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Morgan C. Health Education Journal 11/03/2015.
- Improving Malawian Teachers’ Mental Health Knowledge and Attitudes: An Integrated School Mental Health Literacy Approach | Kutcher S., Gilberds H., Morgan C., Greene R., Hamwaka K., & Perkins K. Global Mental Health 02/16/2015.
- Global School Mental Health: Considerations and Future Directions | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Weist M. Cambridge University Press 2015.
- School Mental Health: Global Challenges and Opportunities | Kutcher S., Wei Y., & Weist M. Cambridge University Press 2015.
- Mental Health Literacy in Schools: A Canadian Approach | Kutcher S., Bagnell A., Wei Y. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinics of North America April 2015.
- Pharmacists’ Performance in a Telephone-Based Simulated Patient Study After a Mental Health Capacity-Building Program | Murphy A., Martin-Misener R., Kutcher S.P., & Gardner D.M. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 07/26/2015.
- Hot Idea or Hot Air: A Systematic Review of Evidence for Two Widely Marketed Youth Suicide Prevention Programs and Recommendations for Implementation | Wei Y., Kutcher S., & LeBlanc J.C. The Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2015.
- A Collaborative and Sustainable Approach to Address Mental Health Promotion and Early Identification in Schools in the Canadian Province of Nova Scotia and Beyond | Wei Y., Kutcher S., Blackwood A., Glover D., Weaver E., MacKay A., Bruce V., Whynacht A., Alshazly F., Shea M. Cambridge University Press 2015.
- A Qualitative Study of Antipsychotic Medication Experiences of Youth | Murphy A., Gardner D., Kisely S., Cooke C., Kutcher S., Hughes J. JCACAP 04/17/2014.
- Innovations in Practice: ‘Go‐to’ Educator Training on the Mental Health Competencies of Educators in the Secondary School Setting: a Program Evaluation | Wei Y., Kutcher S. Child and Adolescent Mental Health 2014.
- Pharmacy Students’ Experiences in Provision of Community Pharmacy Mental Health Services | Murphy A., Szumilas M., Rowe D., Landry K., Misener-Martin R., Kutcher S., Gardner D. Canadian Pharmacists Journal 01/20/2014.
- Sustained Improvements in Students’ and Teachers’ Mental Health Literacy with use of a Mental Health Curriculum in Canadian Schools | McLuckie A., Kutcher S., Wei Y., Weaver C. Journal of School Mental Health 12/31/2014.
- Youth, Caregiver, and Prescriber Experiences of Antipsychotic-Related Weight Gain | Murphy A., Gardner D., Kisely S., Cooke C., Kutcher S., Hughes J. International Scholarly Research Notices 11/20/2013.
- Program Evaluation of a Child and Youth Mental Health Training Program for Family Physicians in British Columbia | Garcia-Ortega I., Kadlec H., Kutcher S., Hollander M., Kallstrom L., Mazowita G. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry November 2013.
- Suicide Risk Management | Kutcher S., Szumilas M.(previous contributors) BMJ Point of Care Oct 2013.
- Prescribing Trends of Antipsychotics in Youth Receiving Income Assistance: Results from a Retrospective Population Database Study | Murphy A. L., Gardner D. M., Cooke C., Kisley S., Hughes J., Kutcher S. BMC Psychiatry 07/27/2013.
- Educator Mental Health Literacy: a Programme Evaluation of the Teacher Training Education on the Mental Health & High School Curriculum Guide | Kutcher S., Wei Y., McLuckie A., Bullock L. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion 04/29/2013.
- Evergreen: Creating a Child and Youth Mental Health Framework for Canada | Kutcher S., McLuckie A. Psychiatric Services 05/01/2013.
- The Effectiveness of School Mental Health Literacy Programs to Address Knowledge, Attitudes and Help Seeking Among Youth | Wei,Y., Hayden J., Kutcher S., Zygmunt A., McGrath P. Early Intervention in Psychiatry 01/24/2013.
- Evidence Review and Clinical Guidance for the Use of Ziprasidone in Canada | Gardner D., Murphy A., Kutcher S., Beaulieu S., Carandang C., Labelle A., Lalonde P., Malla A., Milliken H., O’Donovan C., Schaffer A., Soni J., Taylor V., Williams R. Annuals of General Psychiatry 01/24/2013.
- Mental Health and the School Environment: Secondary Schools, Promotion and Pathways to Care | Kutcher S., Wei Y. Current Opinion in Psychiatry July 2012.
- International School Mental Health: Global Approaches, Global Challenges, and Global Opportunities | Wei Y., Kutcher S. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America January 2012.
- The Science of Brain and Biological Development: Implications for Mental Health Research, Practice and Policy | Spenrath M., Clarke M., Kutcher S. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry November 2011.
- Evidence-Based Clinical Guidelines for Immigrants and Refugees | Pottie K., Greenaway C., Feightner J., Welch V., Swinkels H., Rashid M., Narasiah L., Kirmayer L.J., Ueffing E., MacDonald N.E., Hassan G., McNally M., Khan K., Buhrmann R., Dunn S., Dominic A., McCarthy A.E., Gagnon A.J., Rousseau C., Tugwell P., coauthors of the Canadian Collaboration for Immigrant and Refugee Health (Kutcher S.). CMAJ 09/06/2011.
- Facing the Challenge of Care for Child and Youth Mental Health in Canada: A Critical Commentary, Five Suggestions for Change and a Call to Action | Kutcher S. Healthcare Quarterly May 2011.
- Post-Suicide Intervention Programs: A Systematic Review | Szumilas M., Kutcher S. Canadian Journal of Public Health 01/01/2011.
- Transitions: A Mental Health Literacy Program for Postsecondary Students | Potvin-Boucher J., Szumilas M., Sheikh T., Kutcher S. ACPA Journal of College Student Development November 2010.
- Effectiveness on Mental Health of Psychological Debriefing for Crisis Intervention in Schools | Wei Y., Kutcher S., Szumilas M. Educational Psychology Review 08/03/2010.
- Forward | Kutcher S. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry August 2010.
- Problematic Conclusions Regarding Suicide Prevention: A Response to ten Have et al, 2009 | Szumilas M., Kutcher S. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 06/01/2010
- Psychological Debriefing in Schools | Szumilas M., Wei Y., Kutcher S. CMAJ 06/15/2010.
- Mental Health Care Reforms in Latin America: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in Mexico | Espinola-Nadurille,M., Vargas Huicochea I., Raviola G., Ramirez-Bermudez J., Kutcher S. Psychiatric Services 05/01/2010.
- Use of School-Based Health Centres for Mental Health Support in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia | Szumilas M., Kutcher S., LeBlanc J.C., Langille D.B. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 05/01/2010.
- Building Psychiatric Clinical Research Capacity in Low and Middle Income Countries: The Cuban-Canadian Partnership Project | Kutcher S., Horner B., Cash C., Lopez M., Pascual M. The Innovation Journal January 2010.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Policy and Plans in Canada: An Analytical Review | Kutcher S., Hampton M.J., Wilson J. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 02/01/2010.
- Distinguishing Suicide Attempts from Non-Suicidal Self-Harming Behaviours | Kutcher S., Szumilas M. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry October 2009.
- Mental Health Research Priorities in Low and Middle Income Countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean | Sharan P., Gallo C., Gureje O., Lamberte E., Mari J.J., Mazzotti G., Patel V., Swartz L., Olifson S., Levav I., de Fracisco A., Saxena S., World Health Organization-Global Forum for Health Research – Mental Health Research Mapping Project Group (Kutcher S.– Collaborator). The British Journal of Psychiatry October 2009.
- Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents | Berwaerts J., Kutcher S., Kusumaker V. Chapter 7 in Bipolar Disorder: A Clinician’s Guide to Treatment Management (2nd Edition) June 2009.
- Teen Suicide Information on the Internet: A Systematic Analysis of Quality | Szumilas M., Kutcher S. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 09/01/2009.
- A Combination of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy and Sertraline Reduced Anxiety in Children More Than Either Treatment Alone |Kutcher S. Evidence Based Medicine June 2009.
- 2008 Position Paper on Using SSRIs in Children and Adolescents | Garland J., Kutcher S., Virani A. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry May 2009.
- Evergreen: Towards a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Framework for Canada | Kutcher S., McLuckie A. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry May 2009.
- Adult ADHD and Comorbid Depression: A Consensus-Derived Diagnostic Algorithm for ADHD | McIntosh D., Kutcher S., Levitt A., Binder C., Fallu A. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 04/08/2009.
- Child and Youth Mental Health: Integrated Health Care Using Contemporary Competency-Based Teams | Kutcher S., Davidson S., Manion I. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health May 2009.
- Problems with Access to Adolescent Mental Health Care can Lead to Dealings with the Criminal Justice System | Kutcher S., McDougall A. Journal of the Canadian Paediatric Society January 2009.
- Why Youth Mental Health is So Important | Kutcher S., Venn D. The Medscape Journal of Medicine 12/08/2008.
- Maintenance Study for Adolescent Depression | Cheung A., Kusumakar V., Kutcher S., Dubo E., Garland J., Weiss M., Kiss A., Levitt A. Journal of Child & Adolescent Psychopharmacology 08/30/2008.
- Psychopharmacological Treatment Options for Global Child and Adolescent Mental Health: The WHO Essential Medicines Lists |Kutcher S., Murphy A., Gardner D. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 10/01/2008.
- An Integrated Program to Train Local Health Care Providers to Meet Post-Disaster Mental Health Needs | Kutcher S., Chehil S. American Journal of Disaster Medicine July 2008.
- CBT Plus an SSRI was as Effective as an SSRI Alone for Adolescents with Moderate to Severe Depression | Kutcher S. BMJ Evidence Based Medicine 01/30/2008.
- Youth Suicide Prevention | Kutcher S., Szumilas M. CMAJ 01/29/2008.
- Use of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Youth Suicide: Making Sense from a Confusing Story | Kutcher S., Gardner D. Current Opinion in Psychiatry January 2008.
- Mentally Ill Youth: Meeting Service Needs | Kutcher S., Davidson S. CMAJ 02/13/2007.
- Data Safety Monitoring Boards and Other Study Methodologies that Address Subject Safety in “High-Risk” Therapeutic Trials in Youth | Carandang C., Santor D., Gardner D.M., Carrey N., Kutcher S. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 04/01/2007.
- First Case of Sialolithiasis Associated With Atomoxetine | Jerome L., Gardner D., Kutcher S. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology February 2007.
- Paroxetine Treatment in Children and Adolescents with Major Depressive Disorder: a Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial | Emslie G.J., Wagner K.D., Kutcher S., Krulewicz S., Fong R., Carpenter D.J., Lipschitz A., Machin A., Wilkinson C. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 06/01/2006.
- Meeting Post-Disaster Mental Health Needs Through an Integrated Health Care Provider Training Program: A Pilot Project in Grenada Post Hurricane Ivan | Kutcher S., Chehil S., Roberts T. Pan American Journal of Public Health October 2005.
- A Competencies-Based Mental Health Training Model for Health Professionals in Low and Middle Income Countries | Kutcher S., Chehil S., Cash C., Millar J. World Psychiatry Journal October 2005.
- Post Natural Disaster Mental Health Difficulties: Myths and Realities of Importance for the Caribbean Region | Kutcher S., Chehil S. Caribbean Medical Journal 2005;67:1:147.
- Expert Canadian Consensus Suggestions on the Rational, Clinical Use of Ziprasidone in the Treatment of Schizophrenia and Related Psychotic Disorders | Kutcher S., Brooks S.J., Gardner D., Horner B., Kopala L., Labelle A., Lalond, P., Malla A., Milliken H., Soni J., Williams R. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment June 2005.
- Sertraline in Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Efficacy in Treating the Psychic and Somatic Anxiety Factors | Dahl A.A., Ravindran A., Allgulander C., Kutcher S., Austin C., Burt T. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 05/09/2005.
- Postgraduate Psychiatry Training for Global Mental Health: A Canadian Experience | Chehil S., Kutcher S. International Psychiatry 07/01/2004.
- The Feasibility of a Mental Health Curriculum in Elementary School | Lauria-Horner B., Kutcher S., Brooks S. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 03/01/2004.
- The Characteristics of Asymptomatic Female Adolescents at High Risk for Depression: the Baseline Assessment from a Prospective 8-year Study | Kutcher S., Kusumakar V., LeBlanc J., Santor D., Lagace D., Morehouse R. Journal of Affective Disorders April 2004.